3/4 cup brown sugar
2 T flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
6 cups prepared baking apples
2 T butter
2-3 T milk
Prepared bottom and top crusts.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, core and thinly slice apples.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, four, nutmeg and salt. Add apples and toss to coat.
3. Pour filling into the prepared bottom crust. Dot with butter.
4. Place top crust over filling. Traditionally a 12" pastry circle is cut into 1/2" strips. Weave the strips over the filling to make a lattice. Press the ends of the strips into the rim of the bottom crust. Fold the bottom crust over the strips and flute the edge to seal. Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Fold a 12" square of aluminum foil into quarters. Curt out the center section making a 7 1/2" circle. Unfold the foil and place the square section over the pie. Loosely mold the foil over the edges to protect them from burning.
6. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for 20-25 minutes more until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.