Fall...Halloween...Thanksgiving...it is the time of pumpkins. One of our favorite fall treats are Pumpkin Scones with Cream Cheese Butter. Oh my, I'm salivating just thinking about them.
1 T instant dry yeast
1/3 C sugar
1 C milk, warmed to 110 degrees
7-8 c flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch cloves
1 tsp salt
1/2 C cold butter, cut in pieces
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 C pumpkin puree (16 oz)
oil for frying
1. In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar, and warm milk. Let stand a few minutes, until foamy.
2. In a second bowl, combine 5 C flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
3. Add cold butter, and cut in until mixture resembles cornmeal.
4. Put dry ingredients in large bowl with the yeast. Mix slightly.
5. Add egg and pumpkin. Beat on low until well mixed.
6. Continue to mix on low (knead), adding small amounts of the remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
7. Beat another 3-4 minutes, and then transfer to a well greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour).
8. Punch the dough down and transfer to a floured counter. Break off golf ball size pieces. Roll the balls out into flat pieces, 1/2" thick.
9. Fry in hot oil (375 degrees) on both sides. Cool on a paper towel covered rack. Serve with cream cheese butter.
Cream Cheese Butter
1 8 oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Beat ingredients with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
2. Serve with warm pumpkin scones.
3. Refrigerate leftover mixture.